Don’t do these posts often, but I just wanted to give some proof that I occasionally actually make pots. Its not all running my mouth over here at CGPottery.
Anyway, these are some bowls I need for the wedding registry of my friends Josh and Erin. They need 12, so of course I went ahead and made 32. Just to be safe, right?
Got the feet all trimmed in early this morning, and maybe it was a good thing I made so many. Those first few feet were pretty sloppy. Not in a good way, mind you. I am drying them right side up for now because the rims are still a bit soft and all have a nice undulating distortion from where I picked them up off the wheel.
Here is my other studio project:
Once upon a time when I was a participating member of the woodkiln out in Farmington GA I made all these filler pots to fit around the bigger pieces on the shelves. They were pretty much throw away pieces in that I could never sell a single one but kept on making them. Back in those days I sometimes gave myself the warm-up exercise of using my first three lumps of clay to make these bottles. I found it was a nice way to get in the groove for throwing more ambitious pots. No risk and fun to do. Pretty much just me playing around with the clay as casually as I felt like.
So last week I dusted a bunch of these off and put water in them to see how many actually held water. Turns out two of my favorites leaked…. My plan is to see if the restaurant that just opened around the corner from my house can use them for flowers for their tables. Maybe these are a bit ‘arty’ but right now they are using mason jars for the flowers. They need an upgrade, and I would almost give them for free. Maybe I will…. The owner is one of my former students, so I know she will at least talk to me about it. Otherwise, back to collecting dust in the studio. I can’t picture them selling on etsy, but you never know….